Previous blog articles has studied individual Goole Memorials but as of yet we have not provided a full outline of the total number of shrines and memorials erected in the town, and memorials which name Goole servicemen and women. In this blog post we will compile a full record of known memorials and shrines (although this keeps expanding), and provide an index of their current, if known, locations. The blog will break the memorials into an index based on location over three blog posts. Much of the information comes from extensive research of the Goole Times newspaper and also thanks to information passed on by fellow researchers.
Goole Parish Church – St John the Evangelist
Among the many shrines and memorials within Goole Parish Church three relate to the First World War:
2 – In the south elevation of the nave there is a portrait window dedicated to a Goole victim of the Red Baron. The memorial has previously been discussed on the blog, but to reiterate the dedication on the window is:
“IN MEMORY OF A GALLANT SON LEIUTENANT ERNEST CONWAY-LANSDALE DIED IN FRANCE SEP 30TH 1916 ERECTED BY HIS LOVING PARENTS”
Lieutenant Conway-Lansdale was a member of the Lancashire Regiment and later became attached to the Royal Flying Corp, serving in 11 Squadron. Born in Goole he was the elder son of Captain E. E. Lansdale, A.S.C. of Hawthorn Villas, The Grove, Ilkley.
3 – In the North Transept there is a brass tablet with the inscription – “IN MEMORY OF FRANK HIND CAPTAIN 1ST BATTALION EAST YORKSHIRE REGT. WHO DIED AT HAURBOURDIN FRANCE 29TH OCTOBER 1914 FROM WOUNDS RECEIVED 20TH OCTOBER 1914 WHILE LEADING HIS MEN IN ACTION ‘WHILST ANY NOBLE DEAD OR NOBLE THOUGHT OF HIS REMAIN HE LIVES’”.
The building is also the holder of several other memorials from redundant churches in Goole.
Former St Paul’s Church (Church of England)
The Vicar of St Paul’s and the Church of England Men’s Society were fundamental in arranging the erection of Goole’s Street Shrines. Additionally within the Church were two wooden shrines and when the church was made redundant in the 1970s these were moved for safe keeping into the crypt of Goole Parish Church (see previous blog article):
1. John Fillingham Thorp Memorial with the dedication – “TO THE MEMORY OF JOHN F THORPE WHO WAS KILLED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918 GRANT UNTO HIM ETERNAL REST ‘O LORD AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE ON HIM IT ABIDETH ALONE BUT IF IT ________FORTH _______ _______WHATEVER LIVETH HIS LIFE SHALL LIVE IT AND WHOEVER HATETH HIM LIFE IN THIS WORLD HE’LL KEEP IT UNTO LIFE ETERNAL”
2. A wooden Roll of Honour with the dedication – “St Paul’s Goole, War Roll of Fallen 1914-1918 From the Resurrection & the Life saith the Lord – Joseph Appleyard, Edgar Bowles, Edgar Robt. Browne, Ralph E. Browne, John Brunyee, Stanley Brunyee, Wilfred Chappel, Willie Dodson, George Goulden, Claude Gravell, Morris Haigh, Harold Hayton, Alfred Jackson, William James, Percy Jeeves, Carl Johnson, Owen Kendall, C.W. Leighton, Herbet Clarke, Herbert Morritt, Arthur Martin, Sydney Oates, Clement Phillipson, Edward Pratt, George Robinson, Walter J. Short, Alan Smith, Eric G. Smith, Walter Smart, Reginald Steel, Arthur Sykes, Leslie Taylor, Harold Thompson, William B. Verity, Eli Walker, Percy Watson and Walter Whitehead – R.I.P.”
In May 1920 it was announced that two stained glass windows, the first in the church, would be installed in the south of the nave in dedication of the late Reverend and the congregation who gave their life in the war. The dedication of the window was - ‘To the Glory of God and in Grateful Memory of the following men of this congregation who gave their lives in the service of their king and country” – with a list of names including Claude Gravell, Arthur Sykes, Edgar Robert, Ralph E Browne, Stanley Brunyee.
St Mary’s Church (Old Goole) (Church of England)
The original Church housed two memorials and these were later moved into the new St Mary’s Church in Old Goole during the 1930s. When the Church was made redundant in 2008 the shrines were removed and rededicated in Goole Parish Church. They are now located in the North Transept. The two brass tablets contain the dedications:
1. “IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF HAROLD DOUGHERTY PRIVATE 10TH SERVICE BATT. EAST YORKSHIRE REGT. (HULL PALS) KILLED IN ACTION IN FRANCE 28TH JUNE 1918 AGED 22 YEARS UNTIL THE DAY BREAKS AND THE SHADOWS PASS AWAY”
2. TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF S MARY’S AND ALL SAINTS GOOLE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919 THIS TABLET AND THE SACRED VESSELS IN USE IN THIS CHURCH WERE GIVEN BY THEIR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS - Dick Brant, John Campbell, John Charlesworth Chappell, Harold Dougherty, Ralph Jacques, George Lane, John William Mill, Forbes Morris, Fred Purvis, Horace Purvis, William Sheriff, Robert John Smith, Frank Stephenson, Austin Whitaker, Charlesworth Whiteley - THEIR NAMES LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.”
|(more pictures will be added at a later date of the St Mary's Shrines)|
No known memorials.
North Street Wesleyan Chapel (now Central Methodist Church)
An article in the Goole Times, dated 9th February 1917, announced that a Roll of Honour was erected in the Church. It was intended to be a permanent record of the Great War, the value of which will appreciate as time goes on. In total 79 people were listed on the memorial with 4 making the ‘Great Surrender’. It is described as been a framed ‘inscribed and emblazoned’ roll. The original building was demolished in 1966 and it appears all original shrines and memorials were destroyed with the original Church. The newspaper article details all of the men on the memorial and a full list will be detailed in a separate blog article, or by request.
Boothferry Road Wesleyan Chapel (now Trinity Methodist Church)
Unusually the Methodist Church contains two stained glass memorial windows in the Chancel, which has been previously discussed on the blog.
On the second plaque are listed – “B. Arnold, H. Caukill, W. Hounsley, E. Jackson, F. Kirby and W.R. Raney”.
The Stained Glass memorial replaced an earlier Roll of Honour erected in the church during 1917. The 1917 memorial was dedicated to all those serving from the Church in the armed forces but has since been lost. The memorial, made by a Mr H E Chambers, is described as ‘handsomely designed’ and ‘well executed Roll of Honour’, consisting of a handsome oak frame, with rich gold beading. Only those connected with the church immediately before the war were included on the roll. 46 members of the church were listed and of those six were marked with a long gilt cross to mark the giving of their lives.
With the exception of B. Arnold and E. Jackson all those listed on the later memorial are also noted on the 1917 Roll of Honour. Those named on the Roll of Honour additionally to those on the stained glass were noted in the Goole Times newspaper –
E. Arnold, L. Butler, Campbell, A Davidson, H. Diamond, H. Dixon, F. Evans, P Flowers, T Gale, T Green, A Heunsley, C Hobson, W Jackson, P Joyner, OW Kelsey, G N Lidguard, P Lundy, I Mellor, A Phillipson, E Phillipson, W Ramsbottom, A R Raney, G. Rushby, F Schofield, H Simms, H Sinclair, G Snead, R Snead, R Sykes, A.Vause, W Vause, H Ward, T Ward, S Weatherill, F Wilson, G Yeoman, J Yeoman.
Former Couper Street Wesleyan Chapel
The building was demolished in the 1930s and there is no record of any memorials.
Former Carlisle Terrace Primitive Methodist Church
The original church building was demolished and replaced in the 1960s and it appears that none of the original fixtures and fittings were transferred to the new building. However a memorial taking the form of a simple mural tablet of white marble on a grey marble background was announced in September 1921, with the inscription:
“1914-1919, TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN TREASURED MEMERY OF THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR – ROYCE HALL, GEORGE W WHITING, STEPHEN ANDREWS, GEORGE W FIELDER, GEORGE ROBINSON, SIDNEY ROATES, WILFRED SMITH, CHARLES MILNERS, JOHN W COBB, ALBERT PARTINGTON, SAM WILLIAMSON, GEORGE W FIELDER, ERNEST COWLING, WILLIAM H DUCKER AND GOERGE W CARR – ‘FAITHFULL UNTO DEATH’”.
Former Beulah Primitive Methodist Chapel
The building was demolished in the 1990s and there is no record of any memorials.
Former Dunhill Road Primitive Methodist Mission Church
There are no known memorials in the former Church.
Former United Free Methodist Church (Boothferry Road)
There are no known memorials within the Church which was demolished in the 1960s.
Former St Thomas’ Catholic Church
In October 1919 it was announced that two stained glass windows were to be installed in the chancel of the church. The cross and anchor represent the armed services and the navy.
The dedication on the windows are:
“IN MEMORY OF THE SOLDIERS AND SAILORS OF THIS CONGREGATION”
"WHO HAVE FALLEN IN THE WAR 1914-1919 REQUIESTANT IN PACE”
|With thanks to Justin Lancaster for the pictures.|
St Joseph’s Church (Catholic)
Local historian Carol Howard has provided photographs of a Roll of Honour created for the Church with the dedication – ‘Roll of Honour Soldiers and Sailors’. Interestingly the names originally appear to have been printed onto the Roll and the dates of death added by hand later. More interesting is that the names of several victims of the Goole Zeppelin Raid have been added to the memorial. The list of names includes – Andrews, John (11.12.17); Bateman Thos. W. (17.4.16); Canon Thos. (’18); Carabine John (18.4.18); Carroll, Frank (9.9.18); Clark, Ernest (17.9.14); Creamer, William (30.3.16); Ford, Frank (3.8.17), Ganley, Wilfred (30.12.18), Gavin, Thomas (1917); Gibbons, Thomas (17.3.17); Gordon, John (23.6.15); Murphy, Frank (8.5.16); Hagan, Edward (8.17); Hagan, Ernest (17); Heanan, Edward (17.1.17); Jackson, Abraham (8.5.17); Kelly Bernard (3.7.16); Kelly, Thos. John (4.9.16); McDermott, James (5.7.16); McGivern, Edward (3.5.16); Morrisroe, Martin (3.3.18); Pike Senior, Thomas (1917); Pike Junior, Thomas (1917); Robinson, Alexander (20.7.18); Robinson, James (18.9.14); Robinson, Peter (3.3.16); Tighe, William (1918); Wakes (26.1.18); Carey, William (18); Quinlan, James (1918)
Victims of the air raid – Carol, James (9.8.15); Carol, Mary Ellen (9.8.15); and their two children. The scroll is signed by Chas Ives.
The Goole Times note that the Salvation Army created a Roll of Honour in November 1917. The roll of honour is described as an “illuminated roll in a handsome frame” with the following names –
Herbert Lee, J Scott, J.W. England, Arthur England, W R Barlow, S Hawksworth, G Goulders, Tom Rutter, Charles Croucher, William Edbury, Daniel Fleet, J Croucher, William Earl, Thomas Earl, Arthur Middleton, George England, F Rutter, John Wm. Markham, Wm. Grasby, John Lovell, Fred Acaster, Leo Armstrong, Willie Taylor, Thomas Taylor, Walter Hebden, Isaac Hebden, Benjamin Smithson, Chas. Smithson, Albert Hall, Chas. Burkitt, G. Burkitt, Ernest Sweeting, Wm. Sweeting, Arthur Parker, George Lovell, Stephen Lee, John George, Alfred Gillyon, Albert Gillyon, Wm Armstrong, Harold Mileham, Leonard Lovell, Milson Birkett, Walter Taylor, John _, Benjamin Miller, Thoms. Henry Cross, Albert Dickens, Herbert Raywood, Stanley Spencer, H G Perry, James Mann, G W Miller, Fred Bristow, Willie Spencer and H H Spainton. The names marked with a cross to indicate the supreme sacrifice are G Goulden, Wm, Sweeting, Albert Gillyon, Wm. Armstrong, John W Markham and Wm. Grosby.
The current location of the Roll of Honour is unknown.
Former Congregational Church (Christ Church) (North Street)
A local historian has in their collection, for safe keeping, a memorial removed from former Church listing men who attended the Sunday School prior to the First World War. It is described as a framed with glass and the scroll is in colour
A memorial dedicated to the Mercantile for the First and Second World Wars was removed from the Church when it became redundant and relocated in the Seaman’s Association Memorial on Lock Hill. The memorial includes the following Merchant Seamen who gave their lives in the First Word War - G. Alcock, H. Bryars, L. Colbridge, J. Eldin, N. Haigh, J.H. Halsall, P. Hubbard, G. Jepson, J. Jepson, C.H. Lill, R. Linsey, J.D. Petty, T.E. Rorrison, W. Rust, W. Smart, F. Sutherby, H. Terry, M.M. Wadsworth, T. Watson, F. White and A.W. Wright.
In conclusion the Church was at the forefront of commemoration in the town and the religious connotations are evident in the type of memorial and wording of the dedications. Sadly only around half of the memorials have survived but more fortunately other have been saved by other Churches and individuals, and paper records do survive in the Goole Times newspaper.
Part two in the series will examine memorials erected around the town and those by public and private organisations.
Part two in the series will examine memorials erected around the town and those by public and private organisations.